Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31--Breakfast of Champions

 
Ahhh...the final breakfast of December!  I always love planning this menu and carrying it out.  Mostly it's fun cooking and baking for an appreciative family.  They come to the table with anticipation and delight. And they're usually pleased with the result.  But, I am always relieved when January rolls around and we can pull out the cereal, oatmeal and plain old eggs and toast. 
 
 The family really loved this one--as much as I love to bake
sweets, they enjoy the savory breakfasts the most, I think.
I called it "The Breakfast of Champions". 

 
I cooked some beans (pinto, navy, cannelloni, black...whatever you have) with onions and tomatoes. Then topped with eggs and let them cook in the sauce.  Just before the eggs are done, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  By the way, this dish is a perfect example of why I love my cast iron skillet.  It
heats evenly and enables the eggs to cook well, even in the center of the pan.  I love, love,
love my cast iron.   I served the eggs with buttered toast, but it was hearty enough to be eaten alone.

 
So long, 2012, and Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment